A Review: Chicago 90, AMIGA 1990

Chicago 90 is a racing game developed and published by Microids for the Amstrad PC, Atari ST, Amiga, and MS-DOS computer systems. In this racing game, the player can choose to drive a red sports car similar in appearance to a Ferrari Testarossa and outrun the police searching for them. Or you can assume the role of a police officer and drive a pursuit vehicle in an attempt to catch the fleeing red sports car.

When I first loaded this game up, I thought that it was a lot longer than it actually is. I honestly spent several hours researching this game, looking for a content pack or patch. I thought that I had only managed to find a demo version, but no, this game is that short. I mean, it is ridiculously short and can be completed in four hours at the very most, and that includes time to dink around and get good. I think that I put it best in my original 'Final Thoughts' for this game. It is literally a digital version of cops and robbers or tag, but with cars. There are no extras to unlock, and this is one of those games that you can have in the back for when you're bored but don't want to play a big game. The controls are simple and easy to get to grips with; the cars are slow to respond, but once you get used to them, they can be easy enough to work with. The menus and HUD are simple enough, and the game can be enjoyed without lengthy stints of reading a manual.

Visually, this game is quite impressive, given its age. The cars are attractive and even have damage rendered when you hit something or another vehicle. The different cars are clear, and it is obvious what they are supposed to be, such as taxis, civilian cars, and police cruisers. The world is rather generic, and the environments are a little dull, but you can't expect much from a game as old as this one. The menus, maps, and HUD's are clean and tidy and give the player all the needed information, and the small close-up view renders in real time, which is worth noting.

Overall, this is a very simple game that shouldn't be expected to deliver hours of engaging gameplay but can be relied upon for some simple, no frills fun.
 

5/10 – Okay! 

Signed Off – Leonardo – PSJ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Review: Alpha Prime, PC 2007

A Review: 18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker, PSTwo 2000

A Review: 007: Tomorrow Never Dies, PSOne 1999