A Review: Chameleon Twist, N64 1997
Chameleon Twist is an action-adventure game with puzzle and combat elements developed by Japan System Supply and published by Sunsoft for the Nintendo 64. A rather oddball game featuring some novel and, at times, plain disturbing content. Chameleon Twist puts the player in the role of one of the four chameleons, Davy, Jack, Fred, or Linda, as they follow a white rabbit similar to the character from Alice in Wonderland through a series of portals into other worlds. Completing various tasks as they search for the correct portal to their own home world. Play is very typical of the platformer genre, with many levels being broken up into a series of stages, boardways, and jumping sections.
Hrmm, I didn't honestly think that this game was all that bad, to be fair. Yes, it was a ridiculously short game for what it was, but there was a charm to it. It was fun, but not in a quantifiable way; it was just fun. I really can't think of a better way to describe it; the right words seem to escape me, but I just sort of know. I liked how simple and silly it was, how you could pick it up with almost no knowledge of gaming and probably just 'get it'. The plot was as easy to work with as it is to read a cartoon strip; there was nothing fancy, just a way to link the levels together with some sort of rhyme and reason. I will say that the camera was just ass though, it was so trash, and more than once I died trying to make a jump that I couldn't judge properly. That and the jumping mechanics seemed to suffer from some minor input lag, but otherwise, I can't complain too much. I liked the tongue weapon idea and thought that it was an interesting mechanic that I haven't seen in other games. I liked how you could control it as well, and I thought that it opened up this game and gave it something that others in this genre didn't have.
Visually, this game is vivid; it is also massively contrasting with the colours used, and it is a game that I would strongly suggest taking a break from while playing. That or you kiss your eyes goodbye, as they will melt from your head after a while. That or every time you blink, you'll see afterimages of this games levels inside of your eyelids. The textures were simple and reminded me somewhat of Mario 64, most likely because the colour palette is so similar between those two games. The world and environments were simple but got the job done, and the same can be said of the various enemies and NPC's. The bosses popped and stood out from the crowd, and I'll go as far as to say that some of them looked pretty good. The HUD was very minimalist, but not in a bad way; it sort of worked and matched with the rest of the game around it.
Overall, this is a fun and simple game that I think would do well with younger players, but it also has enough to keep a more mature gamer interested.
5/10 – Okay!
Signed Off – Leonardo – PSJ
Hrmm, I didn't honestly think that this game was all that bad, to be fair. Yes, it was a ridiculously short game for what it was, but there was a charm to it. It was fun, but not in a quantifiable way; it was just fun. I really can't think of a better way to describe it; the right words seem to escape me, but I just sort of know. I liked how simple and silly it was, how you could pick it up with almost no knowledge of gaming and probably just 'get it'. The plot was as easy to work with as it is to read a cartoon strip; there was nothing fancy, just a way to link the levels together with some sort of rhyme and reason. I will say that the camera was just ass though, it was so trash, and more than once I died trying to make a jump that I couldn't judge properly. That and the jumping mechanics seemed to suffer from some minor input lag, but otherwise, I can't complain too much. I liked the tongue weapon idea and thought that it was an interesting mechanic that I haven't seen in other games. I liked how you could control it as well, and I thought that it opened up this game and gave it something that others in this genre didn't have.
Visually, this game is vivid; it is also massively contrasting with the colours used, and it is a game that I would strongly suggest taking a break from while playing. That or you kiss your eyes goodbye, as they will melt from your head after a while. That or every time you blink, you'll see afterimages of this games levels inside of your eyelids. The textures were simple and reminded me somewhat of Mario 64, most likely because the colour palette is so similar between those two games. The world and environments were simple but got the job done, and the same can be said of the various enemies and NPC's. The bosses popped and stood out from the crowd, and I'll go as far as to say that some of them looked pretty good. The HUD was very minimalist, but not in a bad way; it sort of worked and matched with the rest of the game around it.
Overall, this is a fun and simple game that I think would do well with younger players, but it also has enough to keep a more mature gamer interested.
5/10 – Okay!
Signed Off – Leonardo – PSJ
Comments
Post a Comment