A Review: Chameleon Twist II, N64 1999

Chameleon Twist II is an action-adventure platformer developed by Japan System Supply and published by Sunsoft for the Nintendo 64. Mostly unchanged from the formula of the first game, this time around the player must lead one of the four heroes from last time, Davy, Jack, Fred, or Linda, in their search for carrots. Which they then give to the white rabbit, a character that looks very similar to the white rabbit in the Alice in Wonderland books.

What I said when I reviewed the first game mostly applies to this one as well. Aside from some slightly improved controls and a longer range for your Chameleon's tongue, there really isn't much changed from the first game. I also found that the plot this time around was much more flimsy and didn't seem to gel at all well with the gameplay. It can also be said that the same issues that the first game had are copied over to this game. The camera is still pure ass and gets in the way, if it works at all, and I had the same problems judging and making jumps correctly. It would also zoom in at the worst times and block the player's line of sight, allowing some enemies to sneak up on you. I did notice that this game had slightly improved level layouts in general, though, and I liked the new variety given to the enemies'. For the most part, I will say that I did like this game, but that it was just as flawed as the original and, in some cases, more so. Though I can think of worse ways to spend a day, I'm not sure that this game is really worth that effort.

Visually, I feel that this game actually improves from the first one. The textures are clearly of higher quality and resolution. The enemy's look better, and they have little expressions and much better eyes this time around. The colours are just as eye-watering as the first game but have more variation and some real depth to them. The backgrounds are slightly smoother, and the objects and environments are certainly noticeably better too. The character models for your chameleon and other in-game NPC's and such are improved and seem to have generally higher poly counts than the first game. The tongues also have visual indicators for length and directions that are much improved from the first game, and landing attacks with them are much easier as a result. I thought that the HUD also looked better, and the little tweaks here and there didn't go unnoticed.

Overall, I liked this game but would have preferred a better plot and more of a direction to play. Still, I can honestly think of worse ways to spend an afternoon.


5/10 – Okay!
Signed Off – Leonardo – PSJ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Review: Alpha Prime, PC 2007

A Review: 18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker, PSTwo 2000

A Review: 007: Tomorrow Never Dies, PSOne 1999