A Review: 007: The World Is Not Enough, PSOne 2000
Hello, and once again, welcome. Today I'll be posting two reviews. The second one being for the Nintendo 64 game 007: The World Is Not Enough. Please enjoy.
This game was developed by Eurocom and is based on the 1999 film of the same name, which puts players in the role of secret agent James Bond as he tries to stop a plot to cause a nuclear meltdown in waters near Istanbul. Play is all from the first-person perspective and features a variety of weapons, tools, and equipment to make your way through the various maps and levels.
This game was one that I used to spend hours playing with friends, messing around on the 4-player split-screen death matches. Those are some of the best memories I have of the Nintendo 64, so when I found a copy online, I was quick to get my hands on it and give it a play again. Although the AI will never be able to replace my friends, it did hit me with the old nostalgia to once again stalk the multiplayer maps. Having never completed the original campaign, I decided that would be my focus for the hours that would follow, and for the most part, I enjoyed them. However, I found that this game wasn't as good as I was expecting it—not to say that it was a bad game, just that I was expecting more from the campaign than I actually got. Yes, I agree that the level design was solid and had believable locations and such. I liked the variety of weapons and the effects and visuals given to them. The gadgets were fun and really tied in well to the James Bond universe. It's just that the AI was mostly brain dead and slow to respond at best. There was more than one instance where I was able to sneak up on an AI soldier and actually stand next to him without him noticing me. Let's not even get into how bad the AI was for the nanny and escort missions. It seemed to take delight in getting stuck on anything and everything that it could, and it was hugely frustrating. It left the game feeling a little bare and lifeless at times, with the enemy just being a formality. It was frustrating how hollow beating the bosses was too, as it was really just a case of running around erratically and dipping out of line of sight here and there. I felt that this was a shame, as otherwise the game was fairly solid.
For the visuals, this game actually shines pretty well; the levels were well rendered and looked authentic and accurate. The models and animations were smooth, and the draw distance was clean and without any major breaks or cutoffs. The movement sway was a nice touch, and the weapons, spent ammo, and effects were solid. I really can't complain. Vehicles looked good, and the world objects all fit in perfectly for the most part. It all just comes down to the lacking AI.
Overall, I didn't mind this game too much and found that I liked to play it when I was bored with other games or just wanted something to do.
5/10 – Okay!
Signed Off – Leonardo – PSJ
Comments
Post a Comment