A Review: 007 Racing, PSOne 2000
Hello, and once again, welcome. Today I'll be posting two reviews. The first being for the Playstation One game 007: Racing. Please enjoy.
007 Racing is a James Bond-themed and inspired racing and vehicular combat game, developed by Eutechnyx and published by EA Games in 2000 for the PlayStation One. Having never really heard of this game, it turned out that it was one of the Electronic Arts era of Bond games, so I decided to give it a go. The game plays much like Vigilante 8, but with more of a focus on racing than actual combat. The player takes one of several iconic Bond cars and sets about a series of missions with varying goals and a progressive difficulty curve. 007 Racing is the seventh title that features Pierce Brosnan as the main character, though his voice was supplied by the actor and writer Tim Bentinck. There was apparently a sequel planned and announced for the PlayStation 2, but nothing ever came of it.
I didn't mind this game, really. I agree that it was fairly ugly to look at overall, but it was a simple game that scratched an itch for me. I liked the cameos and cheesy voice acting and found that, once you got the hang of overestimating the controls, it wasn't a game that was too hard to complete. The levels were fairly clear, though a little barren at times and plain at others. I liked the cars and thought that their models were pretty accurate for the most part, and the various weapons and associated animations weren't terrible. There really isn't all that much else to talk about, as the game is so basic and simple that reviewing it is fairly easy. I would have certainly liked more to do, and maybe some actual races against characters from the films. Or maybe even a mode that would have allowed you to recreate movie chase sequences, but I'll take what was on offer: a very basic and simple racing game with James Bond I.P.'s.
The graphics for this game were not at all that great, in my opinion, even for the standard of the time. The world objects were blocky, and there were a lot of jagged, low-resolution textures in the back and foregrounds. The water and seas looked like sheets of low poly blues and whites plonked down, and the dust and dirt particles were clearly repeating squares of the same textures. Explosions and fires very much looked like placeholders to me, even though they were the final versions. I also didn't like the game's menus and interfaces; they felt lazy and sort of half-heartedly put into the game. The cars looked pretty good, though, and I liked how the models were animated. It was also clear which car was supposed to be which too.
Overall, this is one of those games that seemed to rely on brand recognition to shift copies rather than anything of any great worth, at least in my opinion. Still, if you want to play a racing game that doesn't require much brain power or you absolutely have to race around in a James Bond car, then this will do, I guess.
5/10 – Okay!
Signed Off – Leonardo – PSJ
007 Racing is a James Bond-themed and inspired racing and vehicular combat game, developed by Eutechnyx and published by EA Games in 2000 for the PlayStation One. Having never really heard of this game, it turned out that it was one of the Electronic Arts era of Bond games, so I decided to give it a go. The game plays much like Vigilante 8, but with more of a focus on racing than actual combat. The player takes one of several iconic Bond cars and sets about a series of missions with varying goals and a progressive difficulty curve. 007 Racing is the seventh title that features Pierce Brosnan as the main character, though his voice was supplied by the actor and writer Tim Bentinck. There was apparently a sequel planned and announced for the PlayStation 2, but nothing ever came of it.
I didn't mind this game, really. I agree that it was fairly ugly to look at overall, but it was a simple game that scratched an itch for me. I liked the cameos and cheesy voice acting and found that, once you got the hang of overestimating the controls, it wasn't a game that was too hard to complete. The levels were fairly clear, though a little barren at times and plain at others. I liked the cars and thought that their models were pretty accurate for the most part, and the various weapons and associated animations weren't terrible. There really isn't all that much else to talk about, as the game is so basic and simple that reviewing it is fairly easy. I would have certainly liked more to do, and maybe some actual races against characters from the films. Or maybe even a mode that would have allowed you to recreate movie chase sequences, but I'll take what was on offer: a very basic and simple racing game with James Bond I.P.'s.
The graphics for this game were not at all that great, in my opinion, even for the standard of the time. The world objects were blocky, and there were a lot of jagged, low-resolution textures in the back and foregrounds. The water and seas looked like sheets of low poly blues and whites plonked down, and the dust and dirt particles were clearly repeating squares of the same textures. Explosions and fires very much looked like placeholders to me, even though they were the final versions. I also didn't like the game's menus and interfaces; they felt lazy and sort of half-heartedly put into the game. The cars looked pretty good, though, and I liked how the models were animated. It was also clear which car was supposed to be which too.
Overall, this is one of those games that seemed to rely on brand recognition to shift copies rather than anything of any great worth, at least in my opinion. Still, if you want to play a racing game that doesn't require much brain power or you absolutely have to race around in a James Bond car, then this will do, I guess.
5/10 – Okay!
Signed Off – Leonardo – PSJ
Comments
Post a Comment