A Review: Aero Fighters Assault, N64 1998

Aero Fighters Assault is a 3rd-person arcade-style flight sim developed for the N64 by Paradigm Entertainment and published by Video Systems. I found this game listed on an old website that has since been shut down for fifth-generation home console games. I was interested, so I decided to download it and give it a go. Although it plays very much like an arcade-style game, I didn't think it was too bad for what it offered. Play is very simple, with the player taking one of a variety of jet-air craft and going up against an evil world organization known as Phutta Morgana. The game is broken up into a series of fairly standard missions, with a minimalist plot thrown in to tie everything together. This is the only game in the Aero Fighters series that comes with fully 3D graphics and is the sixth and final game in the series. Not long after this game came to market, Video Systems began to experience financial troubles before eventually closing due to bankruptcy in 2001.

I'm one of those who didn't really mind this game. I thought that it was one of those titles that you could just put into the '64 and play without much thought. The overall plot and premise were simple enough, and the gameplay was fun if you just ignored the various faults. There were some issues with camera controls, and the jets sometimes behaved weirdly when turning. I found some level glitches occasionally and did note that the world would break at times and allow the player to fly through some objects at random. The AI wasn't tough, but it could be a pain at times when in higher numbers. However, I still feel I had fun, and as I said before, I could play this game without much thought. Which made it a nice game to relax with. If I wasn't feeling a particularly 'heavy' game or didn't want to start a new title, this one would always fill the time fairly nicely, and I respected it for that.

The visuals weren't terrible and were probably around what I would call the average for an N64 game. The jets were colourful, and the world, although low-resolution, was clear enough to work. I did feel that some environments looked smeared or blended together a little too much, but I could let that go. Weapons and such were alright and were again fairly standard fare for a '64 game. I did like the interface, though; it was simple and clear and didn't take too much effort to understand.

So yeah, this game was alright in my mind. Not the greatest, but a nice enough way to spend a few hours every so often.


5/10 – Okay!

Signed Off – Leonardo – PSJ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Review: Alpha Prime, PC 2007

A Review: 18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker, PSTwo 2000

A Review: 007: Tomorrow Never Dies, PSOne 1999